Proverbs 31:25

"She is clothed in strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31:25

Sunday, June 12, 2011

High Heeled Shoes

My mom and I were at Wal-Mart the other day when a pair of shoes caught my mom's eyes. She pointed them out to me and I noticed they were little high heeled shoes Brooklyn's size. I couldn't believe my eyes! Not because they were the cutest shoes in the world, but because the world is wanted my child, my not-even-two-year-old child to grow up! She's growing up fast enough as it is!!

My mom told me that these shoes were now very in-style all because of Tom Cruise and Katie Holme's daughter Suri. She's been wearing mini high heels ever since she could walk. I'm sorry people, but that's a little rediculous! What ever happened to the Full House days when Stephanie Tanner got her very first pair of "high heels" when she graduated 5th grade? (And the little kid shoes I saw were much higher than the ones Stephanie got!)

It really got me thinking about being a child and the kind of childhood I want Brooklyn to have. When I was younger, I would much rather have been outside "chasing tornados" or climbing on top of the building in our backyard or riding the four-wheeler than playing with Barbies. I would much rather read books than watch tv. I loved using my imagination! When I got older, I became more girly and would pretend I was marrying Jonathan Taylor Thomas (remember him??) or dressing up like Mary-Kate and Ashley. I grew up on my own time, not anyone else's. My mom would have loved for me to be her girly-girl and dress up or fix my hair, but I was fine in my t-shirt and pony tail. She never forced me to wear make-up or high heels when I was only a toddler. And I don't plan on forcing Brooklyn either. I don't want to get her ears pierced yet. She has a very long time to make that decision on her own. She won't be wearing make-up (except chap stick) or high heels. She loves being girly: painting her nails, wearing jewlrey, having shoes on, wearing dresses...but that's as grown up as she's going to get until she gets older.

She will be my big girl on her own time. Right now I'm going to enjoy her as my little girl (she's hardly a baby anymore). When she grows up I will want these days back, so I'm going to enjoy them while they last.

No comments:

Post a Comment